Proficiency Test is designed to assess the English language proficiency level of students who are entitled to undertake their undergraduate or graduate studies at Uskudar University. The aim of the exam is to determine whether the students’ proficiency in English is at a level that will enable them to follow courses offered in their respective fields of study and fulfill the requirements of the courses with relative ease. Thus, the Proficiency is mainly concerned with assessing students’ proficiency in reading and understanding academic texts, their ability to follow lectures, take notes and make use of these notes, as well as their competence in composing academic texts of varying length. Therefore, the main focus of the Proficiency is English for Academic Purposes and it may well serve the needs of students in other English-medium universities, provided it is recognized by their institutions.
The exam consists of the following sections: Listening Comprehension, Reading Comprehension, Cloze test , Writing and Speaking . The duration of the exam is approximately 120 minutes.
Grading is out of 100. Passing grade is 60. THERE IS NO MAKE-UP FOR THE PROFICIENCY EXAM.
Proficiency Sample Questions:
Which of the following best summarizes paragraph 7?
- a) Many people are questioning the value of long hours of the workaholic culture, but cannot quit due to their debts.
- b) Fresh graduates are so eager to show off that they take out loans as much as a year salary within their first couple of months in the company.
- c) Company workers spend their asset by living like a corporate executive and cannot have work and private life balance.
Read the following passage and fill in the blanks with ONE word ONLY.
Teaching styles in the US are very different from those in other countries. Teaching in the US is interactive (1) __________ less dependent on rote learning. Professors (2) __________ discussion and debate to passive silence (3) __________ classes are often organized in groups. (4)__________ regularly visit lectures to ask questions (5) __________ their courses and how they are (6) __________. Your faculty will also have open (7) __________ hours for students to come by (8) __________ ask questions.
Write a 300- word ESSAY on ONE of the following topics;
- Global Warming has been a big issue that has effects on the environment, people, and the world, and if not stopped now, the results could be catastrophic. What are the causes and effects of global warming?
- Since the invention of nuclear weapons we have had a long period of GLOBAL peace and stability. Are nuclear weapons global peacemakers or killing devices? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
Your essay will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
– Use of language
Listen to the first recording. Choose a, b, or c that best answers each question you are going to listen. Mark your choices on the answer sheet.
- How many different people can you recognize talking in the recording?
a)3 b) 4 c) 5 d) 6